Friday, January 4, 2013

A Charleston Connection



One question I've been asked many times throughout my career is whether or not there are any other dancers in my family. Well, while there are no other ballet dancers, there is a charleston dancer!  My grandmother, Eva, was born in 1912.  Though she was only a teen in the 20's, she used to steal away to dance in charleston competitions... and she won!  I was never able to meet my grandmother, but her dancing past has always been one of my favorite things I've learned about her since its the only dance connection I have in my family.  Perhaps she is the source of my love for dance!  Because of this I've been looking forward to the charleston section of The Great Gatsby the most, since now I can experience dance like she did!  Ron started working on this choreography during Nutcracker, but because of an injury I had to sit out of rehearsals.  I'm not worried about catching up though... I'm pretty sure the charleston is in my blood!

-Lauren Breen

No comments:

Post a Comment