Tuesday, January 22, 2013

What inspires me?



We're all so very excited for the premier of Ron Cunningham's "The Great Gatsby"! I had read the book in high school, so when I heard that Ron was creating a ballet for it, all the knowledge I had once held came rushing back, and not only was I enthralled by the fact that we would be doing Gatsby, but also because I've not gotten to be apart of Ron creating a new ballet, seeing as this is my first season here at Sacramento Ballet! If I could choose any era to be from, I would definitely choose the roaring 20's. Everything was over the top, fancy, and the music was big and loud. The women were so well put together and dressed to the nine's, and the men were dapper and distinguished. Before knowing we'd be doing Gatsby, I had recently watched the movie "The Artist" which is a brand new silent film set back in the 20's. Seeing this movie sent me into a whole new mind filled with inspiration. The arts were so important, whether it was dancing, singing, being a musician or an actor. I'm in complete awe of the class that this era had, everything just seemed so chic and divine. So now that I get to be apart of "The Great Gatsby" and dance in a bunch of party scenes that have been a blast to work on with Ron, I get to pretend that I'm from my favorite era. The first time I heard the music for this ballet, it gave me chills! It's sort of like a dream come true, having a job that allows me to pretend to be things that I'm not. Everyday in rehearsal since we've started working on Gatsby with Ron, he'll give us things to try to see if he likes them, and then will watch it and maybe tweak where he wants us to look, or how to hold our arms slightly different which changes the entire feel of the whole step, which is incredible! Dancing like you're from the 20's and doing the Charleston, makes me feel so fresh and free! Not only am I super excited to be dancing in all of the party scenes and have carefree fun with my awesome dance partners like they did back then, but I've also have been privileged enough to get to understudy the role of Daisy Buchanan, though I still have much to learn, I am excited I was allowed to do this because learning such a heart felt role allows me to develop as an artist. The book broke my heart, made my heart feel light and happy and everything in between (I mean, what girl wouldn't want to date Jay Gatsby?) and I am thankful I get to be apart of something so large, a ballet that you'll know, recognize, and love! Come have a good time with The Sacramento Ballet as we gear up to knock your socks off with The Great Gatsby, February 7th- 10th!

-Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment