Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Gatsby and Who Cares as an Apprentice


Let me start by saying that I am having an absolute blast with this repertoire. George Balanchine's "Who Cares" and Ron Cunningham's "The Great Gatsby"  have challenged me more than any other show I've performed with the Sacramento Ballet. Not only is the choreography in each ballet physically exhausting, each piece has really put me to the test mentally. The music in Ron's "Gatsby" is fabulous and perfectly emblematic of the "roaring twenties". When it isn't slow and sexy, the music is lightning fast and must be matched by highly energetic and intricate footwork. I think that audience members are going to enjoy seeing how Ron has so creatively meshed together two forms of dance- classical Ballet and the Charleston. I also believe that patrons are going to enjoy the music in each Ballet. The fun, high-energy big-band music in "Gatsby" is paired with some of George Gershwin's most famous songs in George Balanchine's "Who Cares" which I have no doubt that the audience will love the choreography for as well. Much like Ron's choreography for "Gatsby", Balanchine's choreography for "Who Cares" is very high-energy, intricate and difficult. I personally have Mr. Balanchine to thank for a sprained ankle last Tuesday which I am finally almost fully recovered from. All jokes aside though, this repertoire has been really good for me as a dancer. It has challenged me both physically and mentally and I'm thrilled to soon include each of them in my dancing credits!

-Alex Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment