Friday, January 18, 2013

Me & Gatsby

The Great Gatsby is a completely brand new ballet for me because having been raised in Japan,  I didn't know the Great Gatsby story nor did I know the Charleston or the old-style american dancing from this time period. So, because both the dance style and the story and the time period are all really new to me, it's wonderfully exciting and completely brand new! Also, during rehearsal Ron takes the time to explain all the steps one-by-one and also the feeling of the time period in which The Great Gatsby takes place, which makes it  not only a really fun dance to learn but also a real education as well. At my house I have an record player with lots of old jazz and swing records. So I listen to them often and because they have these kinds of steps that were danced during that period, it's really fun!

On a personal note, my mom is coming from Japan to watch The Great Gatsby and Balanchine's "Who Cares?" and I am really excited to be able to show her these uniquely American-style ballets. These ballets are something we could never have the chance to see in Japan.  

Kaori★

No comments:

Post a Comment