Monday, January 21, 2013

Fitting in with American Tradition

The Great Gatsby; Fitting in with American Tradition

By: Mate Szentes

Over the past few weeks our studios have been filled with the purely American sounds of big-band jazz songs and the exuberant melodies of George Gershwin’s original composition as we rehearse Ron Cunningham’s adaption of “The Great Gatsby” alongside George Balanchine’s “Who cares?” After moving to the US from Hungary just seven months ago, so much has already changed in my life. Everything is new for me and being a part of these two masterpieces is such an amazing and exhilarating experience. I’ve never ever had as much fun in the studio as I’ve had in these past few weeks. 
To be honest, the 1920‘s “jazzy” American style is not totally natural for me but I try my best to learn it and make my body comfortable with the movement. Watching other dancers adapt to this style so naturally and with such ease makes me jealous at times,  but I also find it really inspiring. 
I have also really enjoyed watching Ron creating in the studio and I think I speak for all the dancers when I say that we really love bringing his ideas to life. 
As we near the end of the creation process and we all watch as “The Great Gatsby” comes together, piece by piece, I find myself more and more excited to move into the theatre. With the energy of a live jazz band and traditional “roaring twenties” costumes, I am thrilled be a part of this truly American masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment