Thursday, January 17, 2013

I’m always “In the Mood” for some jazz.


Learning The Great Gatsby has been so much fun. One of the main reasons I have enjoyed it so much is my connection to jazz music. I have always played a musical instrument and then in high school I followed in my brothers footsteps and learned the bass guitar and upright bass. I was surprised how easily I took too it. I loved playing the jazz music. It is just so much fun!

To make things more fun, my high school’s musical production is 2 weeks of a 1930’s night club. It isn’t just a show for people to watch. They are literally walking into a nightclub. Four course meal, with the live jazz band, singers, a drama, a dance team and patrons can also dance on their own on the dance floor. I played in the band and danced on the dance team. I was privileged to learn all sorts of ballroom styles, Charleston, Swing, Rumba, Samba, Waltz, compete with lifts, flips, and tosses. It was definitely the best part about high school so getting to return to this era and dance the Charleston to jazz music is so great! It’s always fun to do a different style other than ballet and I feel dancing the dances from this era helps remind us what dancing is about; having fun and expressing yourself

-Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment