Sunday, January 6, 2013

"Yes, WIGS!!!"


I walked up to the board after class today and saw a notice instructing the women to go see Caitlin, our Production manager so that we could have our heads measured.  My first thought was, "Yes, WIGS!!!".  We wear wigs occasionally for roles such as Party Mom in The Nutcracker and in Septime Webre's Fluctuating Hemlines, but I have never had the opportunity to dance for an extended period of time while wearing a wig.  I cannot wait to wear a wig for The Great Gatsby!

There are lots of reasons that I love wigs.  First, it makes getting ready for a performance really easy, just tuck your hair up and pin on the wig.  Another reason is that wearing a wig helps transform you into a different person, which makes developing a character much easier.  

As dancers, we are use to going to our costume shop to get measured and fit for our various costumes, but we have never before been fit for wigs.  Caitlin took at least four different measurements of our heads to make sure we got wigs that would fit our heads properly.  Then came the hard part, which hair color did we want? Of course everyone wants something different than their natural hair color, thats part of the fun of wigs, but I know when the time comes Ron and Carinne are going to have the final say!  I am not sure exactly what the wigs will look like, what color and style I will receive, but I highly anticipate my wig's arrival to help further my character development.

Hope to see you around the studio soon!
Lauryn Winterhalder

No comments:

Post a Comment